Monday, February 11, 2008

Book Review: WARTS AND ALL by Drew Friedman and Josh Alan Friedman

Around a million years ago, I owned a comic book shop. One day a local neighborhood jackass (who will go nameless) stumbled in with a wide grin and slides a paper underneath my unenthused eyes. The caption screamed:

“GROWN MEN WHO SELL COMIC BOOKS?! THEY ARE… COMIC SHOP CLERKS OF NORTH AMERICA”

The highly detailed illustrations of eight inbreed imbeciles stared up at me. Although I was being mocked, and in my own store no less, I was at a loss for a retort, for I was completely captivated by the artist’s rendering of the emotionally crippled and physically deformed comic shop brethren.
How apropos it was to find that this little artistic gem was from a book entitled WARTS AND ALL by Drew Friedman and Josh Alan Friedman. The Friedman brothers creates a surrealistic black and white stippled world of the greats and near greats; the famous and infamous, all thrown into outrageous settings and situations. My favorite: TOR JOHNSON IN NEW YORK!

No comments: